AAA Competitive Manuscript Award
Nominations Deadline: January 31 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time
Sponsored by the American Accounting Association
The Competitive Manuscript Award Committee is currently accepting nominations for the 2019 Competitive Manuscript Award.
- The award encourages research among members of the Association who have earned their PhD within the past five years.
Award Selection Criteria
- Any subject matter in the field of accounting is proper for inclusion.
- Manuscripts must generally conform to the style and length requirements of The Accounting Review.
- Co-authored papers are not eligible.
- Previously published manuscripts, or those submitted for publication to journals other than The Accounting Review before the nomination deadline of January 31 are not eligible.
- The AAA Competitive Manuscript Award Committee will select as many as three winners, observing subject matter interest, depth of research, contribution to knowledge, and organization of subject matter.
- The winner(s) will receive an award at the AAA Annual Meeting.
- The AAA Competitive Manuscript Award Committee will select as many as three winners.
- The winning manuscript(s) will be awarded a certificate designated as the American Accounting Association Competitive Manuscript Award.
- The winner(s) will be announced on the AAA website and in multi-topic mass emails.
- Nominations are due by 11:59 pm Eastern Time on January 31.
Instructions for Submitting Nominations
- Members of the committee are encouraged to submit nominations.
- Current Committee members who are nominated for the award will be asked to either recuse themselves from the committee or remove their nomination from consideration.
- All nominees nominated for a given year’s award – who are not selected for that year’s award – will be automatically considered for the award for the following two (2) years – as long as he/she meets the PhD criteria requirements (see below) and the nominated manuscript has not been previously published or submitted for publication to journals other than The Accounting Review before the nomination deadline of January 31. Nominees who were not selected for the 2018 AAA Competitive Manuscript Award will be considered during the selection process for the 2019 Award and, if not chosen for the 2019 Award, will also be considered for the 2020 Award. At the end of the selection process for the 2020 Award, if a qualified nominee has not been chosen as the award recipient or has not been re-nominated, he/she will no longer be considered for the award.
- PhD criteria for the 2018 Award – Nominees must have earned their PhD during the five calendar years preceding the year of the award (between 2013 and 2017)
- PhD criteria for the 2019 Award – Nominees must have earned their PhD during the five calendar years preceding the year of the award (between 2014 and 2018)
- PhD criteria for the 2020 Award – Nominees must have earned their PhD during the five calendar years preceding the year of the award (between 2015 and 2019)
- Only electronic submissions in a Word file will be accepted.
- Manuscripts will be subject to a blind review; therefore all personal information, any "identifying" information, acknowledgements on the title or abstract page, including the author’s dissertation chair and other committee members (which would indicate the school the author is from), a list of schools where the paper has been presented, and awards the paper previously won should be removed prior to submission in order facilitate a truly "blind" review. Any identifying information in the submission will be removed by the AAA Professional Staff Liaison prior to sending the viewing information to the Chair.
- Each nomination must include:
- An electronic submission in a Word file of the manuscript, and
- A cover letter stating the mailing address, the date PhD degree was awarded, and a statement to the effect that the manuscript has not been previously published and is not being considered for publication by other journals at the time of the manuscript contest.
- Please attach a Word document of the manuscript and cover letter to an email and send to Barbara Gutierrez, Professional Staff Liaison, at email@example.com with "2019 Competitive Manuscript" in the subject line of your email.
- Upon receipt of your nomination you will receive an acknowledgment message from the Professional Staff Liaison.
- All documents submitted in support of your nomination become the property of the American Accounting Association and will not be returned. Do not submit irreplaceable documents.