FARS Innovation in Financial Accounting Education Award
The Innovation in Financial Accounting Education Award is conferred annually to an individual or a group of individuals (at least one of which must be a section member), and is intended to:
- Encourage innovation that improves financial accounting education, and
- Recognize significant programmatic changes or significant activities, concepts, or educational materials that can be adopted by others within the academy.
This award is given in recognition of an innovation, which may have been developed and implemented over a several-year period. Examples of such innovations could be:
- Educational research aimed at better understanding the outcomes associated with methods or delivery of financial accounting courses and/or improving the delivery of financial accounting courses
- A new framework or paradigm for a financial accounting course
- Original instructional resources (including financial accounting and reporting cases)
- Course material that allows instructors to better incorporate research into their teaching
The award recipients must be willing to share unpublished instructional materials with the Section's membership.
Criteria used to judge submissions for this award include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Innovation (i.e., something new or different that increases student interest in the study of financial accounting or that improves the effectiveness and efficiency of financial accounting education.)
- Evidence of the educational benefits or value as the result of the innovation; and
- Adaptability by other educational institutions
The award carries with it a $1,500 cash prize and an engraved plaque for the winner. The winner is announced and recognized at the Section's luncheon during the AAA Annual Meeting in year of the award.
FARS members may submit nominations by March 1. The nominations should be submitted to the chair of the Innovation in Financial Accounting Education Award committee chair (Rebecca Shortridge: firstname.lastname@example.org). That committee will select a winner of the award.