AAA Management Accounting Section PhD Student Fund
In her 2016 acceptance speech for the AAA Management Accounting Section (MAS) Lifetime Contribution to Management Accounting Award, Sue Haka of Michigan State University challenged the MAS to do more to foster management accounting doctoral students. Sue earmarked her $3,500 award to seed the MAS PhD Student Fund. In addition, Sue has generously agreed to match up to $5,000 in contributions each year.
Will you join Sue and your MAS colleagues by contributing to the PhD Student Fund? Here’s why it’s a worthwhile addition to your portfolio of tax-deductible contributions.
In August 2018, a new MAS PhD Student Fund Task Force began working with the MAS leadership team to develop a sustainable program to grow, distribute, and manage the PhD Student Fund in accordance with the MAS’ ongoing goals.
- In late 2018, the group took an important step to grow the fund, asking MAS leaders to demonstrate their support of this initiative by committing to contribute to the fund in 2018 and 2019. The response was overwhelming – more than 20 current and former MAS leaders contributed over $11,000 to the fund.
- Based on several 2018-19 surveys of MAS faculty and PhD students, the Task Force developed plans to meaningfully distribute some of these funds to PhD students. With the leadership of the MAS Doctoral Colloquium organizers, the 2020 Colloquium will include a trial of a program to provide travel funding for later-stage PhD students so they can receive individual, in-person feedback on their research ideas from faculty members, and at the same time develop mentoring relationships outside of their home institutions.
- The Task Force drafted an Operating Document to guide long-term management of the fund (see below). The document will be updated when the Task Force finalizes sustainable fundraising and fund distribution plans and has them reviewed and approved by the MAS Executive and Operating Committees for permanent inclusion in our Operating Manual.
You can see why the PhD Fund Task Force and MAS leadership team is incredibly excited about the potential of the PhD Student Fund to support the future of management accounting scholarship.
Please contribute to the fund now, and then on a regular basis in the future. Of course, any amount is valuable. Instructions on how to contribute are below. Your contribution is tax-deductible, and for MAS accounting purposes please forward your receipt to the current MAS Secretary/Treasurer (see MAS Officers Information for up-to-date contact information).
Thank you for your consideration, your generosity, and your commitment to the future of management accounting scholarship!
To make a contribution to the AAA MAS PhD Student Support Fund
- Go to AAA Member Dashboard and log in using your AAA Username and password.
- Click on your name at the top right of the screen to access your Membership Dashboard.
- Under “Online Store,” select “Make a Donation”.
- Click on the drop-down list in the “Donate To” section, select “MAS PhD Student Fund” and indicate the amount you wish to contribute.
- The remainder of the page should be pre-populated with your information; if it is not, please complete the items with the red stars at a minimum.
- Select “Add to Cart” and “Pay Now”, then “Checkout” to enter your credit card information.
- Shortly after you hit “Process Order”, you’ll receive an email receipt for your contribution that can be used for tax purposes.
- Forward your receipt to our MAS Secretary/Treasurer, Mina Pizzini (email@example.com) so the MAS can (1) ensure your donation is allocated to the correct MAS fund; (2) provide documentation to Sue Haka for her match; and (3) acknowledge your generosity.
Click this link to review the Draft of PhD Student Fund Operating Document