Call for Submissions
Fifth International Conference of the Journal of International Accounting Research (JIAR)
Adelaide, South Australia, July 1-2, 2017
Submission Deadline: 31 January 2017
The Fifth International Conference of the Journal of International Accounting Research (JIAR) will be Adelaide, South Australia, July 1-2, 2017. Adelaide, the capital of South Australia, is the opal capital of Australia and reportedly the home to the biggest display of Aboriginal culture and artifacts.
The goal of this conference is to expand the scope and impact of international accounting research through increased understanding and awareness of international accounting challenges and opportunities. Original and rigorous research will provide academics, practitioners and regulators with deeper insights into international accounting issues. While the journal continues to welcome innovative and high quality research which examines how accounting information affects capital market participants, one of the goals of the 5th Journal of International Accounting Research (JIAR) conference is to increase the scope and impact of international accounting research. We hope by having the conference in Australia just prior to the Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand (AFAANZ) Annual Conference, we will receive high quality research from that area, as well as other areas of the world. Papers that address interesting and innovative research questions in all areas of international accounting are welcome but papers addressing issues such as the following are particularly welcomed for plenary sessions:
- Lessons learned from IFRS adoption - How and why do effects of IFRS adoption vary across countries?
- The challenges of management and control in a global world. Does IFRS affect the stewardship role of accounting?
- The relevance of methods and paradigms from cross-cultural psychology and international business to international accounting research.
- Challenges to the auditing profession and enforcement of accounting standards internationally.
- The development of an international accounting profession and its challenges; including ethics, education, enforcement, language, etc.
Papers can be submitted for consideration in one of two tracks (or both): Plenary Session submissions and/or Concurrent Session submissions. Papers must be submitted in English.
Plenary Session Submissions:
- For the Plenary Sessions, please submit papers on international accounting issues that are suitable for consideration for the Journal of International Accounting Research (JIAR). All papers will receive a thorough written review. To submit a plenary paper, please indicate that you are submitting to the JIAR conference in the cover letter, and then follow the regular submission procedure for JIAR outlined at: http://aaahq.org/IA/Journal
- Accepted Plenary Session papers designated for JIAR will be published in the Journal of International Accounting Research (conditional on satisfactory responses to reviewers’ and discussant’s comments).
- The conference will waive the registration fee and pay for airfare (up to US$1,400) and three nights’ stay in the conference hotel for one presenter.
Concurrent Session Submissions:
We welcome submissions in all areas of accounting for the Concurrent Sessions. Papers submitted to the Concurrent Sessions only will be considered for presentation at the conference, but not for publication in the Journal of International Accounting Research. Submissions should be directed via email to email@example.com
Please note that a maximum of 120 participants including presenters and discussants will be accepted to the conference.
The Key-note Speaker for the conference will be Professor Mary E. Barth who is the Joan E. Horngren Professor of Accounting at Stanford University, Graduate School of Business. Professor Barth has been named the next Senior Editor of The Accounting Review (from June 1, 2017).
Participants are invited to attend a number of social events including a gala dinner, which will be held on Saturday 1 July.
AFAANZ Conference: Minor Sponsor
The AFAANZ Conference will be held in Adelaide following the JIAR Conference and it will start on the afternoon of Sunday 2 July and finish on Tuesday 4 July. Further details regarding registration will be available soon.