Call for Mini-Classroom Proposals
As an integral part of the Management Accounting Section (MAS) Mid-Year Meeting, the Teaching Symposium is presenting a series of education-focused sessions designed to complement the meeting’s research-focused concurrent sessions. Instead of the poster sessions provided in past years, we are looking for teachers who can demonstrate techniques they use to engage students more deeply in class and encourage individual student learning. As part of the Teaching Symposium, the program includes two "mini-classroom" sessions where authors of accepted proposals will demonstrate how they teach a class and incorporate their teaching techniques into their classes. The audience will assume the role of students and the authors will conduct a 20-minute class. The goal was to provide a more interactive opportunity for innovative teachers to showcase their classroom techniques. Please consider submitting a 1-page proposal include the following information:
1. Describe the technique/topic you want to teach.
2. Identify the learning objectives you look to accomplish when teaching your class
3. Categorize your learning objectives by learning level: low (most appropriate for introductory classes), average, above average, or high (most appropriate for upper-level and graduate classes)
4. Discuss your assurance of learning strategies
5. Show your timeline for how you plan on utilizing your 20 minute session.
We believe these sessions will offer invaluable opportunities to see how our colleagues are using innovative techniques to engage students and promote learning. Each session will also provide time for the audience to ask questions regarding implementation and potential challenges. The Committee looks forward to your submissions. Please submit your 1-page proposals electronically by Saturday, October 29, 2016 (midnight EDT) to Professor Timothy West at Tulane University using the email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We rely on volunteer reviewers and discussants to put on a successful conference. Please consider volunteering HERE.
CLICK HERE for more information on the Teaching Symposium.
Bill Tayler and Clara Chen
2017 Management Accounting Section Meeting Co-Directors