2011-2012 AAA COMMITTEES
Doctoral Consortium Committee
Plan and hold the 2012 AAA/Deloitte/J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium. The Consortium should provide a forum for stimulating participating doctoral students to pursue research in significant subject areas. Specifically:
- The Committee will plan an informal orientation meeting, large-group presentations, small discussion groups, and informal lounge sessions conducive to relaxed discussions among students and faculty.
- The Doctoral Consortium Program Director is appointed by the AAA President and serves as the Committee Chair.
- It is recommended that someone with prior experience as a consortium fellow or as a residential faculty member be selected as Program Director.
- New committee members are appointed annually by the AAA President.
- A planning meeting will be held for the committee to decide upon a schedule for the three-day Consortium and faculty presenters.
- The Doctoral Consortium is held in the summer, but at a different time than the Annual Meeting. A remote location is preferred.
- The Doctoral Consortium will be held on June 13-17, 2012.
- The Committee serves as Faculty members at the Consortium.
- Committee members may serve as presenters at the Consortium.
- After preparing the Consortium schedule, the Committee compiles a list of candidates they believe would make outstanding Faculty Members at the Consortium. These additional Faculty Members may serve as presenters at the Consortium. The final choice of additional Faculty Members is left to the Program Director.
- A report to the Board of Directors Liaison, AAA President, and Executive Director is prepared by the Program Director and should include an overview of highlights of the event, a description of the program and list of participants, actual expenditures compared with the budget and the effectiveness of the program as evaluated by the Director, Faculty, and the student participants. The report is to be filed no later than November 1st.
- It is recommended that the Doctoral Consortium include students from institutions outside the United States.
- Discussion of recommendations for changes in length of program, number of students attending, and/or any activity that might significantly affect costs of the program must include the AAA Executive Director and appropriate representatives of the sponsoring foundation.
- The Chair will have the opportunity three times every term-year to prepare and send a progress report which will be available for the Board of Directors to review at their next meeting. This report should include accomplishments and suggested modifications and should be sent to the AAA President, the committee’s Board of Directors Liaison, and staff liaison, Barbara Gutierrez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
* Co-Chairs of Doctoral Consortium during 2012-2013
Board of Directors Liaison
To be determined.
top of page
Back to AAA Committees
AAA Home Page