2011-2012 AAA COMMITTEES
Research Advisory Committee
(Standing Committee of the Association)
- Study and report upon all matters of concern to the Association related to research, as directed by the President and the Board of Directors.
- Make policy recommendations to the Board of Directors about the development of research-related activities designed to enhance world-wide research in accounting including, but not limited to PhD programs, faculty development, research recognition, etc.
- Align the strategic direction of all Association level committees related to research with the organization's Strategic Plan.
- Coordinate activities with the AAA Vice President-Research and Publications to screen candidates for the Seminal Contributions to Accounting Literature Award.
- Review and evaluate proposals and completed works submitted for publication in Studies in Accounting Research.
Research Advisory Committee
- Monitor the accounting research activities of other accounting associations (e.g. AICPA, FEI, IIA, and IMA) and coordinate with those organizations, as appropriate.
- Advise the AAA Vice-President-Research and Publications in the development and administration of the Association's programs in accounting research, including contributing to effective initiatives undertaken by headquarters' staff involved in faculty development, the regions, and the sections.
- Suggest ways to encourage research in accounting, including research related to discovery, integration, application, and teaching.
- Develop materials for AAA webpage to inform and attract students to PhD programs in accounting.
- Provide effective research liaison with regions and sections.
- Coordinate the work of research-designated committees, such as the Competitive Manuscript Committee, the Deloitte Wildman Award Committee, the Doctoral Consortium Committee, the New Faculty Consortium Committee, and the Notable Contributions to Accounting Literature Award Selection Committee.
- The Chair will have the opportunity three times every term-year to prepare and send a progress report which will be available for the Board of Directors to review at their next meeting. This report should include accomplishments and suggested modifications and should be sent to the AAA President, the committee’s Board of Directors Liaison, and staff liaison, Barbara Gutierrez (email@example.com).
Research Advisory Committee - Seminal Contributions to Accounting Literature Award
- AAA Staff (Barbara Gutierrez) will ensure the Call for Nominations web page is updated in conjunction with the Committee Directory.
- Beginning in September, the AAA Awards Coordinator (Stephanie Glaser) will arrange for the Call for Nominations announcement to be included:
- In the Fall edition of the Accounting Education News
- On the AAA website and in multi-topic mass emails.
- The AAA Awards Coordinator will contact the committee chair with the dates that the awards Call for Nominations will be included on the AAA website and in multi-topic mass emails.
- Nominations are due by January 31st in years in which they are solicited.
- Members of the committee are encouraged to submit nominations.
- The committee will select award recipients based on award criteria.
- The AAA Vice-President-Research and Publications will collect nominations for the award.
- The AAA Vice President-Research and Publications will involve the Research Advisory Committee to screen the nominations.
- The committee will consider works worthy of the Award and add them to other nominations considered.
- The AAA Vice President-Research and Publications and the Research Advisory Committee will take into consideration that the Award is not given too frequently to avoid diluting its original purpose.
- The AAA Vice President-Research and Publications makes recommendations to the Board of Directors at the Spring Board of Directors meeting.
- The Board of Directors will make the final decision on giving the Seminal Contributions to Accounting Literature Award.
Research Advisory Committee - Studies in Accounting Research (SAR)
- AAA staff will work with the AAA Vice President-Research and Publications to advertise and promote the Call for Proposals.
- Proposals and completed works will be evaluated by the AAA Vice President-Research and Publications and the Research Advisory Committee for suitability. A review committee of three or more members will be established for an accepted proposal or completed work.
- The committee will provide comments and suggestions and, upon completion, make a recommendation to the AAA Vice President-Research and Publications as to whether the work meets SAR criteria.
- For proposals, the committee will also monitor the work as it is being completed.
- Appropriate milestones and time limits will be established for the completion of the work.
- The selection of members of the review committee will be based upon recommendations of the author(s) and the AAA Vice President-Research and Publications with the objective of forming a mutually acceptable group that is highly conversant with the area and possesses established research records. The review committee may include a member of the Research Advisory Committee at the time the work is approved to provide continuity.
- It is envisioned that about one SAR will be published every year.
- The AAA will publicize, publish, and distribute sufficient copies based on orders received from members and non-members.
- The Vice President-Research and Publications shall Chair the committee
- The Research Committee shall consist of nine members, each of whom shall normally serve a three-year term, with one-third of the committee members appointed each year.
- New committee members are appointed annually by the AAA President.
- The committee meets as needed.
University of Southern Denmark
Board of Directors Liaison
University of Southern Denmark
top of page
Back to AAA Committees
AAA Home Page