2012–2013 AAA COMMITTEES
(Standing Committee of the Association)
Carry out all necessary activities to precede the Association's annual election. Specifically:
- Nominate candidates for elective offices of the Association.
- Select a list of nominees to the applicable AAA offices for election by the membership in Spring 2013
- Carry out other duties specified in the Bylaws and Policy and Procedures Manual
- The Nominations Committee shall consist of the two most recent Past Presidents willing and able to serve and five members elected by the Council.
- The five elected members cannot be current members of either the Council or the Board of Directors.
- The Nominations Committee shall be chaired by the most senior, in service, of the Past Presidents serving.
- Members of the Nominations Committee are not eligible for nomination.
- Rank-and-file may nominate persons to the Nominations Committee.
- A meeting of the Nominations Committee is scheduled by the Chair and should occur before December 31.
- A Call For Nominations will be included in issues of Accounting Education News, in mass emails to AAA members, and on the AAA website.
- AAA Nominations Committee Chair initiates scheduling of the meeting of the Nominations Committee no later than September.
- AAA staff assists the AAA Nominations Committee Chair in coordination of the meeting, scheduling, and location.
- Prior to the meeting of the committee, members of the AAA Nominations Committee should become knowledgeable about the current strategic planning efforts of the Board of Directors and the defined roles of each position in the selection of the slate of nominees.
- As soon as the general nominations process closes, the AAA Nominations Committee Chair and AAA staff will review nominations submitted and set aside those not meeting the nomination requirements.
- The AAA Nominations Committee Chair will then contact all qualified nominees to reaffirm their willingness to serve if selected.
- Committee will share Vision Statement and the strategic planning documents outlining current initiatives with potential nominees and ascertain that candidates are comfortable leading and supporting the strategic planning process of the Association if elected to serve.
- Persons so nominated must previously have agreed to serve if elected.
- At least 10 days prior to the meeting of the Nominations Committee, committee members receive a spreadsheet list of qualified and willing to serve nominees. The spreadsheet includes name, affiliation, information provided by the person nominations, and the nominee's vita or vital information is provided as available.
- A link to the AAA Nominations Committee Charge, list of past Board of Directors, the nominations form from the nominator, the nominee's CV, and the nominee's AAA service history will be provided to the AAA Nominations Committee.
- In the event that there are candidates for positions to be chosen by the Nominations Committee who are also candidates for positions to be chosen by Council, the AAA Nominations Committee Chair will coordinate with the Chair of the Council Ballot Committee.
- The AAA Nominations Committee will review all nominations, identifying the perceived strengths and weaknesses of each.
- The voting process for the committee will be: Starting with the President-Elect position, an initial round of voting consists of each voting member casting up to three votes for different nominees for the position. The top four vote recipients (or more if there is a tie for fourth) will then be placed in a second round. Each committee member then casts up to two votes in the second round and the top two candidates will be identified with the relative ranking of the other candidates also identified. In the case of ties, the committee will deliberate as to whether to put forward a slate of more than two candidates or to conduct another round of balloting. No vote will be taken without consensus of the committee that all relevant issues have been discussed.
- The voting process outlined above should be repeated for all open positions.
- Once voting is complete, the AAA Nominations Committee Chair contacts those nominated to make them aware of their nomination and to confirm their ability and willingness to accept the position if elected. In the case that an individual is unable or unwilling to be a nominee or accept the position if elected, the committee will move to the highest ranked alternate.
- The slate shall include at least two names for each position.
- The AAA Nominations Committee Chair will notify the Executive Director of the slate of nominees as soon as it is confirmed.
- The Slate of Officers announcement must be published/distributed approximately ninety (90) days prior to the beginning of the election. This will include details of the provision for additions to the slate of nominees by petition.
- Additional nominations may be made by a petition signed by not less than one hundred (100) members of the Association submitted to the Executive Director at least forty-five (45) days prior to the beginning of the election.
- The membership of the Association shall be notified prior to the election of the nominations made by petition.
- Election shall take place by mail, facsimile, or electronic vote of the members.
- The AAA website and a future issue of Accounting Education News will contain a short bio and photo of each nominee, including any nominated by petition, along with a short (maximum) 200 word statement of issues they considered important regarding the future of the AAA. No other "campaign" efforts are permitted.
- The AAA Nominations Committee Chair will send a final report to the Board of Directors by the beginning of March. This report should include accomplishments and suggested modifications and should be sent to the AAA President, the committee's Board of Director Liaison, and staff liaison, Barbara Gutierrez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Positions up for nomination during 2012–2013
- President-Elect — Serves a three-year term: President-Elect during 2013–2014, as President during 2014–2015, and as Past President during 2015–2016.
The role of the President-Elect is to appoint new members to fill vacancies on AAA committees and task forces, to participate on the Board of Directors, to participate as a member of the Management Team, and to represent the AAA leadership at Region and Section meetings, as well as at meetings outside the AAA when asked to do so. The President-Elect shall serve for one year, then shall serve one year as President and then one year as Past President. The two or more nominees on the final ballot presented to the membership will be selected by the AAA Nominations Committee.
- Vice President-Finance-Elect — Serves a three-year term: Vice President-Finance-Elect during 2013–2014 and Vice President-Finance during 2014–2016.
The Vice President-Finance chairs the standing Finance Committee. The Vice President-Finance is responsible for supervising the financial management of the Association, under the general direction of the Board of Directors. The Vice President-Finance shall assist the President-Elect in preparing the budget outlining the financial resources and requirements for the next fiscal year. The Vice President-Finance shall report annually to the membership on the financial affairs of the Association. The Vice President-Finance shall serve for two years after serving one year as Vice President-Finance-Elect.
During the first year of the Vice President-Finance's two-year term, the AAA Nominations Committee shall nominate a Vice President-Finance-Elect to serve during the final year of the Vice President-Finance's two-year term. The Vice President-Finance-Elect shall assume the vice presidency (and chair of the Committee on Finance) upon the expiration of the Vice President-Finance's term. The Vice President-Finance-Elect shall serve as a member of the Finance Committee and shall perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President-Finance. The two or more nominees on the final ballot presented to the membership will be selected by the AAA Nominations Committee.
- Director—Focusing on Intellectual Property — Serves a three-year term: 2013–2016.
This director will take responsibility for helping the Board deal with technological, economic, financial, organizational, and competitive issues related to intellectual property. These issues are important to our members who create intellectual property from their research and/or teaching and to the AAA as a whole. This complex area has been the subject of two AAA intellectual property task forces; this director will serve on the Intellectual Property Task Force II. The person filling this role will ideally have knowledge or experience concerning library acquisition, aggregators, electronic publication and/or digital rights issues. In addition, the person filling this role should have the ability to assess financial and risk aspects of contracts dealing with intellectual property. The Director—Focusing on Intellectual Property will serve a three-year term. The two or more nominees for this position on the final ballot presented to the membership will be selected by the AAA Nominations Committee.
- Director—Focusing on Academic/Practitioner Interaction — Serves a three-year term: 2013–2016.
This director will take responsibility for helping the Board continuously improve its strategic relationships with practitioners and member bodies from all areas of the accounting profession and with regulatory bodies relevant to the accounting profession. These strategic relationships are important to our members who wish to keep their teaching and/or research up to date and they also provide an opportunity for AAA thought leadership to contribute to the profession and/or the public interest. The person filling this role will ideally be either a career academic who has a recent significant history of relationships or experience within the accounting profession, broadly defined, or a recently retired practitioner who is now holding a non-tenure track faculty position. The Director—Focusing on Academic/Practitioner Interaction will serve a three-year term. The two or more nominees for this position on the final ballot presented to the membership will be selected by the Council Ballot Committee.
top of page
Back to AAA Committees
AAA Home Page