By Susan Hughes
The Auditing Section of the AAA is successful because of the many members who agree to serve on one or more of the Section’s committees. This column will profile the activities of one of the Section’s committees. In this issue of The Auditor’s Report, the CPE Committee is profiled.
The Charge of the Committee includes the following:
Structure: The Committee will consist of three members each of whom are appointed for three-year terms. Each member will serve in the first year as Vice-chairperson, in the second year as Chairperson, and third year as Past Chairperson.
- Provide information to Auditing Section Regional Coordinators and to AAA Regional Program Chairs to assist them in structuring auditing‑related CPE activities at the regional level.
- Arrange for and administer a CPE session in conjunction with the Auditing Section Mid‑Year Meeting.
- Arrange for one or more auditing‑related CPE sessions in conjunction with the AAA Annual Meeting.
- Interact with the Auditing Section's Education, Research, and Auditing Standards Liaison Committees, and with the American Accounting Association's Director of Faculty Development, as appropriate to carrying out the activities in items 1 to 3.
- Present a brief report on CPE activities at the Section's annual business meeting.
The 2009-2010 Committee Members include:
Susan Hughes (Chair), University of Vermont
Barbara Arel (Past Chair), University of Vermont
Rick Lillie (Vice Chair), CSU San Bernardino
Recently, the CPE Committee has been working with speakers identified by the Research and Education Committees to develop and present webinars each academic year. Webinar participants (who are logged into the system for at least 50 minutes and respond to at least three polling questions) are eligible to receive CPE credit through the AAA. In November, Pam Murphy presented a webinar on fraud, in March, Kathy Hurtt presented a program on professional skepticism. The Auditing Section Officers would like to add one additional webinar each year, and encourage the Section’s members to submit ideas for future webinars and speakers.