Faculty Diversity and Initiatives Section
Please indicate your agreement as to the importance of the Section objectives by checking either Very Important (1), Mildly Important (2), or Not Important (3). Please feel free to revise wording or add to each objective. You may enter additional objectives on the back of this page.
The American Accounting Association (AAA) Faculty Diversity and Initiatives Section should identify issues related to diversity and diversity initiatives. In this respect, the Section's objectives could include:
- Encourage and promote interest in the diversity of the accounting profession.
- Publish research that associates accounting with diversity issues and policies.
- Facilitate research that focuses on the economic impact of diversity policies and multicultural and/or ethnic institutions.
- Improve quality of research focusing on diversity policies and issues, particularly research that impacts faculty, students, and public and private institutions.
- Stimulate research on institutional policies and issues that impact faculty, doctoral candidates and undergraduate students.
- Assessment of Section members needs including presentation forums, research and publication assistance and mentoring relationships.
- Recruitment of faculty members, particularly underrepresented ethnic and cultural populations.
Retention of faculty members, particularly underrepresented ethnic and cultural populations.
- Assessment of Section members needs including equitable treatment in career pursuits and career development.
- Creation of partnerships with public and private organizations interested in diversity initiatives.
- Develop programs, as necessary, including interdisciplinary exchanges, which will mutually benefit Section members and other members of the American Accounting Association.
Total Surveys Mailed 430;
Selected COMMENTS on the SURVEY:
- "Having been a minority in another country, I hope the committee looks beyond just the American perspective."
- "Create/develop programs to share diversity initiatives with other multicultural societies internationally."
- "For Q.11, Yes! Other Sections of the AAA can help in avoiding pitfalls & becoming effective within AAA quickly."
- "Promote partnership with professional organizations, i.e., State CPA Societies Institute of Management Accountants, Association of Government Accountants, accounting firms (small, medium & large), and appropriate associations to support diversity, etc."
- "For Q.7 Doctoral students, I suggest that the lack of diversity is at least as much a problem of supply as it is demand."
- "For Q.9 Emphasis should be broader than focus on section members."