Plan and hold the annual AAA/Deloitte/J. Michael Cook Doctoral Consortium. The Consortium should provide a forum for stimulating participating doctoral students to pursue research in significant subject areas. Specifically:
- The Committee will plan an informal orientation meeting, large-group presentations, small discussion groups, and informal lounge sessions conducive to relaxed discussions among students and faculty.
- The committee Chair or Co-Chairs is/are appointed by the President-Elect for a two-year term, serving as Chair Elect or Co-Chairs Elect of the committee in the first year and as Chair or Co-Chairs in the second year.
- It is recommended that someone with prior experience as a consortium fellow or as a residential faculty member be selected as Committee Chair or Co-Chair.
- New committee members are appointed annually by the AAA President-Elect.
- The committee meets annually during the AAA Annual Meeting.
- The Doctoral Consortium is held in the summer, but at a different time than the Annual Meeting.
- The Doctoral Consortium will be held in June 2015.
- To fulfill the committee charge as above.
- The Committee compiles a list of candidates they believe would make outstanding Faculty Members at the Consortium.
- These additional Faculty Members may serve as presenters at the Consortium.
- Committee members may also serve as presenters at the Consortium.
- Student attendees of the Consortium must be nominated by members of their academic departments.
- After the event takes place, a report to the Board of Directors Liaison, AAA President, and Executive Director is prepared by the Chair or Co-Chairs and should include an overview of highlights of the event, a description of the program and list of participants, actual expenditures compared with the budget and the effectiveness of the program as evaluated by the Chair or Co-Chairs, Faculty, and the student participants. The report is to be filed no later than November 1st.
- It is recommended that the Doctoral Consortium include students from institutions outside the United States.
- Discussion of recommendations for changes in length of program, number of students attending, and/or any activity that might significantly affect costs of the program must include the AAA Executive Director and appropriate representatives of the sponsoring foundation.
- If the Chair has any questions about the charge or responsibilities of this committee, s/he should contact the Executive Director, the President, or the committee’s Board of Directors Liaison.
- The Chair or Co-Chairs will have the opportunity three times every term-year to prepare and send a progress report which will be available for the Board of Directors to review at their next meeting. This report should include accomplishments and suggested modifications and should be sent to the AAA President, the committee’s Board of Directors Liaison, and staff liaison, Barbara Gutierrez (email@example.com).