Outstanding Auditing Dissertation Award
The Auditing Section seeks nominations for its annual Outstanding Auditing Dissertation Award. The author of the dissertation judged to make the most outstanding contribution to auditing knowledge among those dissertations nominated for consideration, in addition to the recipient's dissertation chair, will receive the award. The assessment of what constitutes an outstanding contribution will be based upon, but not limited to, the following criteria:
- Timeliness and importance of the problem(s) addressed.
- Creativity of the research.
- Development of an appropriate theoretical framework.
- Appropriateness of the research method and analysis.
- Potential for publication in a scholarly journal.
- Potential for the results to have an impact on the practice of auditing.
Selection of the award recipient will be made by the Section’s Outstanding Dissertation in Auditing Selection Committee. A dissertation may be nominated either by the author or one or more members of the dissertation committee. To be considered complete, nominations must include:
- A letter from the dissertation chairperson stating that the dissertation has been completed and accepted by the degree-granting institution between January 1, 2019 and December 31, 2020 (including the date of the formal completion of the dissertation). Dissertations can be nominated more than once.
- A nomination letter stating why the dissertation is deserving of special recognition.
- An electronic copy of a paper from the dissertation that meets the criteria for papers submitted to Auditing: A Journal of Practice & Theory (refer to the latest issue for requirements related to length and other matters, e.g., submission of experimental instruments).
- An electronic copy of the entire dissertation.
Please submit nominations to Keith Jones via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the earliest possible date, but no later than August 15, 2021..
Outstanding Auditing Dissertation Award*
Jacob Jaggi, Washington State University - "When Does the Internal Audit Function Enhance Audit Committee Effectiveness?"
Past Award Winners
* The Outstanding Dissertation Chair Award was first presented in 1995-96 in conjunction with the Outstanding Auditing Dissertation Award.