Tom Hilton, MSF, CPA/ABV/CFF, CVA, CGMA
Forensic and Litigation Services
Saturday Breakfast, Providing Expertise in the Prosecution and Defense of Forensic Investigations
March 2, 2019, 7:00 am - 8:20 am
Tom is an experienced forensic investigator with deep experience in fraud and forensic investigations, white collar crime investigations and the development and implementation of entity-level fraud risk management programs. He testifies frequently in large commercial litigation matters in federal and state courts and before arbitration panels. Tom is a frequent presenter at fraud and forensic conferences nationwide, author of articles in professional publications, and co-author of Financial Valuation: Applications and Models 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th editions. He has served as a member of the Board of Directors of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and currently serves as an adjunct professor of forensic accounting at the Richard A. Chaifetz School of Business, St. Louis University.
Phillip J. Nemmers, Ernst & Young LLP
Saturday General Session, Cybersecurity Services Marketplace
March 2, 2019, 8:30 am – 10:00 am
Phil is a Partner in the Cybersecurity practice of Ernst & Young LLP with over 30 years of experience supporting clients across various sectors including financial services, health care, telecommunications, consumer products, and aerospace and defense. Within Cybersecurity, Phil is responsible for overseeing our compliance and regulatory-related activities impacted by cybersecurity risk; including:
EY’s outreach activities with various federal regulators across key sectors and the legislative branch to share insights regarding cyber risks, and gain visibility into upcoming changes; this regular cadence includes interactions with groups such as:
- Financial Sector – CFPB, Department of the Treasury, FDIC, Federal Reserve, FINRA, NAIC, OCC, and the Senate Banking Committees, Health & Life Sciences – FDA and Office of Civil Rights
- Oil & Gas / Power & Utilities – Department of Energy, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, & Nuclear Regulatory Commission
- Automotive – National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- Other – Department of Commerce, Department of Homeland Security, Federal Trade Commission, National Institute of Standards and Technology,
Securities and Exchange Commission, and US Chamber of Commerce
The growing impact of cyber risks on external audits, internal audits, and third-party attestation activities. His efforts in this area include:
- Teaming with EY’s US and global professional service groups to developed enhanced cybersecurity risk assessment procedures to support the firm’s external audit activities
- Presenting to the Audit Committees of numerous Fortune 500 companies on the topic of cybersecurity risk
- Developing and presenting Board and senior leadership team training on cybersecurity risk and their related business implications
- Assisting internal audit teams at numerous Fortune 500 companies to more effectively scope, design and execute audits of an entity’s cybersecurity risk
- Designing EY’s approach to conducting third-party attestation engagements under the AICPA’s “Reporting on Entity’s Cybersecurity Risk Management
Programs and Controls” guidance, issued in May 2017)
Phil is a Certified Public Accountant, a Certified Information System Auditor, and a Certified Information Technology Professional.
Matt Sherman, Deloitte Financial Advisory Services LLP
Friday General Session, Fighting Fraud with Forensic Analytics: An Integrated Approach from the Deloitte Foundation Forensic Accounting Case Study Series
March 1, 2019, 1:00 pm - 2:30 pm
Matt is a Manager in Deloitte’s Risk & Financial Advisory practice in the Greater Washington D.C. area. Matt has over six years of experience in corporate forensic and litigation consulting, corporate restructuring and corporate governance matters. While at Deloitte, he has participated in several engagements assisting clients in conducting fraud-related and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) investigations, as well as managed due diligence reviews for clients in high-risk countries around the world.
Matt has experience in helping clients navigate business controversies, such as M&A purchase price disputes, shareholder suits, and sensitive regulatory matters. Additionally, he works with clients to enhance their risk management programs through improved governance strategies, cultural change management, and data analytical tools to proactively mitigate against fraud, waste, and abuse as well as improve operational efficiencies.
Session Description: As damaging fraud schemes continue to emerge, companies are utilizing a cognitive data-driven approach that leverages data analytics to proactively combat fraud and conduct investigations. This session will highlight the effectiveness of taking an integrated, analytics-driven approach during corporate investigations to quickly identify the root cause of incidents, improve sensing capabilities and help prevent recurrence.
Christina Solomon, CPA, CFE, CFF, CGMA, RubinBrown
Saturday Lunch, Professional Landscape of Fraud and Forensic Accounting Services
March 2, 2019, 12:00 pm - 1:30 pm
Christina Solomon is a Partner in RubinBrown’s Business Advisory Services Group. As a financial forensics expert, she performs forensic accounting analysis and fraud investigations. She has provided financial consultation to businesses in a variety of industries, including manufacturing and distribution, professional service firms, healthcare, environmental and not-for-profit organizations.
Christina’s consulting services include developing financial analyses, quantifying damages, writing reports and providing deposition and trial testimonies. In addition, she has internal audit, financial modeling and data analysis experience.
In 2011, Christina was awarded RubinBrown's Community Service Award.