Welcome from the AAA President, Elaine Mauldin
It is my honor to invite you to the 105th Annual Meeting of the American Accounting Association (AAA) to be held virtually August 2-5, 2021. The theme for this year’s Annual Meeting is “Be Courageous in the Midst of Challenge.” We certainly have no shortage of challenges this year. As I began my term at the 2020 Annual Meeting, I summarized three major challenges facing the AAA; supporting Yvonne Hinson’s transition as our new CEO, taking actions to become more inclusive and equitable, and the pandemic. In addition, the challenges we were facing prior to the pandemic have certainly not dissipated. The development of new technologies continues to have profound impact on how organizations, including Universities, operate. Clearly, we are unlikely to return to “business as normal” but will develop a new normal that redefines what and how we teach and research. I am optimistic that we can meet the challenges if we work together, combining our individual skill sets. The Annual Meeting is a great place to improve our skill sets, find new ways of using our skill sets, and connect with new people that could provide us with diverse perspectives on problems we are interested in attacking. As pointed out to me in a recent conversation with a junior colleague, the Annual Meeting is uniquely the one time a year when you can “roam” around different interests and meet people with different perspectives that just might help you advance your own research and teaching interests. We are building some improved networking capabilities into our virtual platform this year to facilitate these interactions. In addition to research and teaching sessions, the Annual Meeting always includes dynamic and informative plenary and panel sessions that sharpen our understanding of current issues of the day. Keep an eye out for more details as we finalize the program.
Taking advantage of the virtual world, we have moved the Conference on Teaching and Learning (CTLA) to July 8 and 9 which will allow us to more easily adopt what we learn into the fall semester. We will then offer a variety of pre-conference activities on July 29 and 30.
I hope you will all join us!
Annual Meeting Platform and Program Structure Update
The new Platform for 2021 will feature:
- No pre-recorded sessions with 100% live, interactive rooms for all panel, research & paper sessions.
- New daily session timing to allow for global member outreach for those presenting or discussing from a variety of time zones.
- Midday Plenary timing to allow for more participation.
- The ability to earn a wide range of valuable CPE credit hours.
- Enhanced Partner/Exhibitor experience allowing live interaction with members
- Back in 2021! – CTLA, Pre-Conference Workshops, Ethics Symposium, Poster Sessions & FASTCA-21. Submissions are open for these sessions - learn more HERE.
- Dynamic, daily evening networking lounge available to members, partners, Sections, Regions, and Alumni groups to meet up face to face and to host events. Reserve your space under the Events tab coming soon to the Annual Meeting website.
The AAA remains sensitive to financial concerns that universities are facing, and we are benchmarking other virtual business academic organization meetings and estimate costs and taking all of this into account as we set the fee for the 2021 Annual Meeting. Meeting registration will open mid-April.