Annual fees for membership in the Public Interest Section are $20 ($6 for students). Prospective members must first be members of the American Accounting Association
To join the Public Interest section, please contact the AAA staff at http://aaahq.org/About/Directories/Staff.
The Public Interest Section has adopted the following objectives:
- Promote interaction among members of the academic and professional communities interested in the interface of accounting with social, economic, ethical and political consequences of corporate activity, and in exploring the social and ethical roles and responsibilities of the accounting profession.
- Encourage research in public interest accounting by identifying areas in need of research, providing a forum for the exchange of ideas and findings, and providing opportunities for exposure of research results.
- Present programs that create and expand an awareness of the profession's responsibility to society.
- Develop and promote educational materials that foster an awareness of social and ethical issues in accounting students.
- Encourage interdisciplinary exchanges between accountants and members of other learned groups.