The AAA is excited to partner with the Coalition for the Homeless for the
Service Project at the 2016 Annual Meeting!
What is the Service Project?The AAA Service Project began at the 2011 Annual Meeting in Denver, Colorado with a donation of 500 backpacks to the Denver School System. Continuing this tradition as part of our Annual Meeting, we partner with a nonprofit organization in the city where the Annual Meeting is held. Thanks to the generosity of our members, we have been able to donate hundreds of backpacks each year filled with new school supplies for children who may not otherwise have supplies for school.
As the largest community of accountants in academia, we are delighted and proud to be able to make a difference in the lives of so many children and provide the opportunity for educational success in the new school year.
What is the Coalition for the Homeless?
For 35 years, the Coalition for the Homeless has developed, implemented, and advanced humane, cost-effective solutions to end New York’s homelessness crisis. The Coalition’s landmark legal victory in 1979 paved the way for further legal victories that ensured the legal right to shelter for homeless women, children and families.
In addition to its ongoing advocacy programs, the Coalition provides housing, food, job training, and crisis services for people suffering in extreme poverty. In January 2016, there were 60,296 homeless people, including 14,670 homeless families with 23,882 homeless children, sleeping each night in the New York City municipal shelter system, with families comprising just over three-fourths of the homeless shelter population.
The Coalition’s programs for children include summer camps, after-school programs, holiday toy drives, and its Project: Back to School. For the past 8 years the Coalition has helped to provide 3,000 new backpacks each year to the homeless children they serve.
New This Year for Service Project!
The AAA is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year! In honor of our Centennial Celebration, in addition to donating backpacks to the Coalition for the Homeless, we are also donating new pairs of socks. The Coalition for the Homeless -through their extensive network of services - will be able to give these new socks to the homeless men, women, and children living in the New York City Municipal Shelter System who need them most.
We Need Your Help to Make a Difference!
- Donate New Socks - Fill up your suitcases with as many pairs of new socks as you can (any size, any color) and drop them off at the Service Project Donation Station at the New York Hilton Midtown.
- Buy a Backpack- For a tax-deductible donation of just $35, you can purchase a backpack filled with school supplies for kids in grade 4-7.
Choose how you want to donate:
- Through the Service Project Donation page by clicking HERE.
- At the Service Project Desk at the New York Hilton Midtown
- Volunteer Time- If you would like to help organize supplies, we invite you to stop by the Service Project assembly area at the New York Hilton Midtown on Monday or Tuesday.
- Donate Supplies- Many supplies are needed, including notebook paper, folders, pens, and pencils. You can purchase your own supplies and drop them off at the Service Project Desk at the New York Hilton Midtown.
2016 Service Project School Supply List
Crayons (24 pack)
Spiral notebooks (wide-ruled)
Loose-leaf notebook paper (wide-ruled, 100 count)
Together, we can make a difference in the lives of children in New York City.
Questions about Service Project? Contact Barbara Gutierrez at firstname.lastname@example.org