AAA Launches a New Series of Online Technology Workshops
The AAA is launching a new series of online technology workshops. Each set of workshops will address a specific area of technology to help our members upskill
The topic of the second set of workshops is Data Analytics with Power BI
The series will consist of 3 three-hour hands-on workshops, 1:00 pm-4:00 pm Eastern, on the following dates:
Introduction to Data Analytics with Power BI
Presenters: Guido Geerts, University of Delaware, and Lee Kersting, Northern Kentucky University
This workshop provides a hands-on introduction to Microsoft Power BI, a business intelligence tool which has been developed with Excel users in mind. More specifically, this seminar will provide you with the following knowledge:
- How to build powerful interactive reports with little effort.
- How to explore data relationships such as time series and correlation
- How to enhance data sets with information that you need for decision making.
- How to integrate Power BI into your accounting classes.
Data Preparation: A Deep Dive and Teaching Strategies
Presenters: Guido Geerts, University of Delaware, Gail Hoover King, Washburn University, and Susan Wolcott, Independent Scholar
This workshop provides a deep dive into Power BI’s data preparation tool: Power Query. More specifically, this seminar will provide you with the following knowledge:
- How to use Power BI/Power Query for data preparation.
- How to extract and integrate data.
- How to clean data.
- How to transform data for analytical purposes.
- Using a patterns approach, twenty common data preparation scenarios will be discussed and applied to a case. For each scenario (pattern), best practices and detection and correction techniques (Power Query) will be discussed.
- How to use a patterns approach to effectively teach data analytics in the accounting classroom
Applying Data Analytics to Accounting
Presenters: Guido Geerts, University of Delaware, and Bill Neil, BDO
This workshop demonstrates how data analytics and Power BI can be applied to accounting and integrated into accounting courses. More specifically, this seminar will provide you with the following knowledge:
- How to solve accounting problems with data analytics.
- How to teach accounting concepts using data analytics.
- Discussion of a real-world data analytics case.
- What skills does the accounting profession expect from our students?
Each workshop will qualify for 3.2 CPE hours for a total of 9.6 CPE hours in the Information Technology field of study.
For all three workshops in the series:
Price for Members: $150.00 for the entire series.
Price for Student Members: $50.00 for the entire series.
Price for Non-Members: $500.00 for the entire series
Learning Objectives for the series:
- Learn how to apply data analytics in an accounting context using Power BI.
- Learn how to integrate data analytics/Power BI into your accounting courses.
Program Level: Basic
Prerequisites: No specific skills are required for this workshop. However, each workshop will build on the prior workshop.
Advance Preparation: Participants need to download and install Power BI Desktop before the first workshop. Power BI Desktop is free. Please CLICK HERE for more specific instructions on how to download and install Power BI Desktop. Participants will receive a more detailed email one week before each workshop which will describe how to get access to handouts, data sets, and so on.
Delivery Method: Group Internet Based
All cancellations must be received in writing at the AAA in order to be processed (email Info@aaahq.org). Cancellations received before October 24, 2022 will incur a $25 cancellation fee. No refunds will be available for cancellations after October 24, 2022, or for no-shows.
For more information contact Karen Osterheld at email@example.com.