Nominations Deadline: January 31 at 11:59 pm Eastern Time
To volunteer for this committee, please click HERE.
Carry out all activities to determine recipients of the Competitive Manuscript Award. Specifically:
- Actively seek and submit nominations
- Review and evaluate nominations
- Current Committee members who are nominated for the award will be asked to either recuse themselves from the Committee or remove their nomination from consideration.
- All nominees nominated for a given year’s award – who are not selected for that year’s award – will be automatically considered for the award for the following two (2) years – as long as he/she meets the PhD criteria requirements (see award criteria for details) and the nominated manuscript has not been previously published or submitted for publication to journals other than The Accounting Review before the nomination deadline of January 31. Nominees who were not selected for the 2020 AAA Competitive Manuscript Award will be considered during the selection process for the 2021 Award and, if not chosen for the 2021 Award, will also be considered for the 2022 Award. At the end of the selection process for the 2022 Award, if a qualified nominee has not been chosen as the award recipient or has not been re-nominated, he/she will no longer be considered for the award.
- Select up to three recipients of the award based on the award criteria, observing subject matter interest, depth of research, contribution to knowledge, and organization of subject matter
- Chair presents the Award(s) at the AAA Annual Meeting
- If the Chair has any questions about the charge or responsibilities of this committee, s/he should contact the Chief Executive Officer, the President, or the Committee's Board of Directors Liaison.
Estimated Time Commitment
- September 1 – January 31 – Actively seek and submit nominations; participate on virtual calls and email discussions at the discretion of the Chair
- February 15 – April 15 – Review nominations, participate on virtualcalls and email discussions at the discretion of the Chair, and select up to three recipients
- Approx. 5 hours reviewing nominations; varies based on number of nominations
- By April 15 – Chair notifies the Professional Staff Liaison of the winner(s)
- August – Chair presents the award(s) at the AAA Annual Meeting
- Preparation for presentation could take approximately 1–4 hours
Roles & Responsibilities Timeline
Chair and Committee Members Responsibilities
|September - January 31
||February 15 - April 15
- Actively seek and submit nominations
- Review nominations, participate on conference calls and email discussions, at the discretion of the Chair
- Chair is allowed to vote in the award committee's deliberations.
- Select up to three award recipients based on award criteria
- Chair notifies the Professional Staff Liaison of the winner(s) by April 15th at firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Chair will have the opportunity to prepare and send a progress report in June which will be available for the Board of Directors to review at their August meeting. This report should include accomplishments and suggested modifications and should be sent to the AAA President, the Committee's Board of Directors Liaison, and Professional Staff Liaison, Barbara Gutierrez. (email@example.com)
- Chair presents the award(s) at the AAA Annual Meeting
Committee Composition/Required Knowledge and Expertise
- Five or six members plus a voting Chair are appointed annually prior to the Annual Meeting by the Council Committee on Awards Committee.
- Care should be taken that the Committee include members with a range of expertise, who are knowledgeable about exceptional, current accounting research,
- And to be sure the Committee includes one member knowledgeable in the field of quantitative analysis and another knowledgeable in behavioral science.