May 28, 2020
Hello AAA Members,
For the first time in our history – this year the AAA Annual Meeting will be held virtually in August 2020.
This decision was not taken lightly by the Board and Council Chair -- recognizing how valued and highly anticipated the meeting is for our community - and how keen authors and presenters are to present and get feedback on their work. We appreciate your patience and support over these last weeks!
With members’ health and well-being as our number one priority – and the pandemic disrupting our usual patterns on campus and across organizations – look forward to working with you to find new ways to convene and support colleagues’ scholarship and education - even when it’s possible to meet again face-to-face.
It’s going to take a couple of weeks to be ready with full details of what the digital Annual Meeting will look like. These are some things we know today – then stay tuned for regular updates:
- All accepted papers, panels, and education sessions will have the opportunity to be presented on the program, and a formal program will be available for all attendees.
- While possibilities are unfolding, we plan to offer many of our usual program elements in a range of formats to accommodate networking, and section and region community plans.
- The upcoming Spark digital meeting on June 11-12 – will use a new conference platform and presentation gallery we’ve built that lets you participate in research and teaching presentations in a flexible and personalized way (a preview/pilot for the Annual Meeting). Registration is open, and all are welcome.
- Section members, leaders, and program chairs have already done much valuable work to prepare for the Annual Meeting – we’ll be connecting with you about how to plan for key community activities in digital ways.
- For those counting on earning CPE during the Annual Meeting there will still be a wide range of opportunities to do that.
- The Annual Meeting is likely to run over its dates August 7-13, though we may shift and/or expand dates and times to better support different time zones and varied activities.
Therefore, we are now excited to continue with the 2020 AAA Annual Meeting and harness the spirit of our 2020 conference theme “Stronger Together” – who knew how apt that theme would be!
I know everyone will have a lot of questions – please stay tuned for regular email updates – keep track of announcements HERE – and don’t hesitate to send questions to Pat Stein on our membership team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In the meantime we send out thanks for the support and patience of our members, partners, exhibitors, and sponsors – we hope you and your families and colleagues are safe and well - and hope you can join in to experience unique new ways to collaborate, share research and teaching, discuss best practices, and more.
On behalf of the Board and Council Chair – and with heartfelt thanks from the professional staff –
All the best,
For more information about the AAA response to COVID-19: https://aaahq.org